Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grandma's Rhubarb Crunch Recipe

Spring is such a fabulous time of year. I love all the colors popping, and seeing everything look new and clean again. This time of year also reminds me of my grandma - she was my hero. She passed away on Good Friday, and I can't believe a month has already passed without her here.

We would ALWAYS make this rhubarb crunch recipe in the spring. She had her own rhubarb patch, even when she had to move away from her farm, she was lucky enough to find a place that actually had rhubarb there. Personally, I think it was even sweeter than the original. We had lots of great times together, and to honor her, here is the recipe we used.

Now, I don't want to hear any complaints about rhubarb. Try it, that's all I ask. You will not be disappointed (and this would go for my sweet hubby too, but he had to eat rhubarb as a kid, and there is no getting him to try it now).

Enjoy, and Grandma - I love you - You're the best!

Rhubarb Crunch
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1 c. flour
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. melted butter
Mix flour, oatmeal and cinnamon together in small bowl. Melt butter. Add butter to flour mixture. Stir until crumbly, then press half of it into a greased baking dish (9x9 or round cake pan). Reserve remaining half for topping.
Cover the bottom layer of crumbs with 4 c. diced rhubarb.
In a medium saucepan, combine:
1 c. sugar
2 Tblsp. cornstarch
2 c. water
Cook this over medium high heat until thick and clear. This can take a while, stirring most of the time is helpful. Once this reaches boiling and has become more clear and thick, remove from heat, add 1 tsp. vanilla, then pour over the rhubarb. Top with remaining crumbs. Don't have to press these down. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Best served warm, and if you are in the Hensley family, you probably want milk poured over yours. Personally, I like mine straight. Delish!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crafty girl. . .thanks so much for the rhubarb recipe!! I can't wait to try it. I really appreciate you popping back in at Cabin Life and letting me know about your new blog. Cheers!! Ellie